Review of SONEVA JANI, most AMAZING resort in the Maldives
I recently enjoyed a terrific stay at Soneva Jani, what I consider to be the best resort in the Maldives, if not the world (same level as North Island in the Seychelles). Soneva Jani raises the bar for luxury travel, not only in the Maldives, but around the globe, and rewrites the rule of an exclusive private island vacation.
I made a Youtube clip with my impressions of the resort, which you can watch here:
I guess the clip tells it all, but I hereby want to share a few key point with you as well.
PROS & THINGS I LIKE:
- Location, location, location! The resort is located in one of the Maldives' most stunning and largest lagoons (with a length of more than 5 km or 3,5 mi). The lagoon's waters boast the most vibrant shades of blue that I have ever seen.
- What sets Soneva Jani apart from all other resorts in the Maldives – is that its stunning lagoon has access to not one, but five paradisiac islands. The largest island is connected to the resort by a snake-like jetty, and features an overwater cinema, tennis courts, water sport center and miles of deserted beaches. The other four islands are smaller in size, with three of them remaining undeveloped while the fourth island features a beach club and tented club.
- The resort is completely built overwater along a 1,7 km long jetty (that is connected to the main island). Halfway the jetty, you find the Gathering, the resort's heart, which appears like something out of a fairytale. The Gathering is the largest overwater structure in the Maldives and the houses various dining outlets, spa, gym, library, a boutique shop, the chocolate & ice cream parlor, wine cellar and kids club.
- During my holiday, I stayed in the resort’s lowest category villa – a one bedroom water retreat – which was bigger than the presidential suites of most 5-star hotels. It featured a living area, study room, kitchenette, master bedroom, kid's room, outdoor bathroom, and a lounge upstairs. The villa's highlight was the terrace with an enormous private pool and the retractable roof (so you can stargaze while falling asleep).
- The design of the villas and the main facilities is mindblowing and will knock you off your feet. It's all about understated luxury and eco-chic design, and it's clear that the Swedish roots of Eva, one of the Soneva founders, have influenced the overall decor.
- Although there is just one main restaurant, Soneva Jani offers several food experiences at other places, such as a deserted island, near the overwater cinema, or at the overwater observatory. Food is delicious, as you would expect from a resort of this caliber.
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW:
- While incredibly beautiful, the lagoon is not teeming with fish. The good news though is that the resort is surrounded by 12 km (7,5 mi) of stunning reef which circles the lagoon and can be reached by the resort boat (unless you are a very good swimmer).